Saturday, August 20, 2011

Don't keep all your eggs in one basket...

…keep some in a can!

Like Ida Mae McCann in our book, I’ve been stockpiling nonperishable food products for quite some time now in case of a hurricane or other disaster.  And like our character, Pastor J.C. McCann, who thought his wife was a little paranoid, Michael thinks I am, too.  But he patiently tolerates my obsession with preparedness and it has served us well on a few occasions.

Several weeks ago while I was baking a cake I smugly thought how I have plenty of baking products like flour and sugar squirreled away.  Why, I even have a supply of powdered milk!  Then it dawned on me.  What would I do if I couldn’t get fresh eggs?  There’d be no cakes or a lot of other things we enjoy!  (And we don’t have chickens like we did when I was a kid.)

Evidently I was one of the last ones to think of this because everywhere I checked on the Internet powdered eggs were out of stock.  I signed up for a waiting list with Honeyville Farms and a couple weeks ago they notified me that the eggs are now back in stock.

If you’d like to keep some on hand, you know, “just in case,” click here: HONEYVILLE FARMS to go to their Web site.  I haven’t opened the cans or used any of the product, but, according to the label, if the unopened can is kept cool and dry it should last from 5 to 10 years and up to a year after opening.  I was pleased how quickly Honeyville Farms shipped.  They also have several other dehydrated foods besides eggs.

It’s a good idea to regularly check the expiration dates on your emergency food inventory.  You can donate anything that won’t be used by that date to your local food pantry.  In these tough times, you know it will be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment