Friday, July 22, 2011

Pay It Forward -- Literally

A couple years ago our friend, Lois, who is in her late eighties, was checking out her weekly order of groceries.  As soon as the cashier rang up the total, a young woman in line behind Lois reached in front of her and handed payment to the cashier then turned to Lois and said, “You remind me so much of my grandmother and I’d give anything if she were still alive so I could buy her groceries.  Since she isn’t, won’t you allow me the pleasure of paying for yours?”   Needless to say, Lois was taken aback.  At first she wondered if it was some sort of scam, but the young woman’s sincerity convinced her otherwise and she accepted.  Lois still mentions this incident quite frequently and speaks fondly of this kind-hearted stranger.  “And it wasn’t just a bottle of milk and a loaf of bread,” Lois will say, “It was a whole cart full of groceries!”

No comments:

Post a Comment